Best paper for the IMIA Yearbook of Medical Informatics 2014 in the section ‘Health Information Systems: “Sáez C, Bresó A, Vicente J, Robles M, García-Gómez JM . An HL7-CDA Wrapper for Facilitating Semantic Interoperability to Rule-Based Clinical Decision Support Systems. Comput Methods Programs Biomed 2013;109(3): 239-49” (download)
- UPV: Cuatro investigadores del IBIME del Instituto ITACA-UPV, galardonados por la Asociación Internacional de Informática Médica
- Europapress: Cuatro investigadores de la UPV, galardonados por la International Medical Informatics Association
- La Vanguardia: Cuatro investigadores de la UPV, galardonados por la International Medical Informatics Association
Leader of the Biomedical Data Mining research line: Juan Miguel García-Gómez
The Biomedical Data Mining research line of IBIME is an interdisciplinary research line of Polytechnic University of Valencia (UPV) committed to biomedical computer science since its creation in 2000. With more than 13 years of experience, focuses its research on real problems in the field of biomedical computer by means of advanced pattern recognition and machine learning techniques, modelling, computational prediction and development of tools for biomedical data processing to support biomedical research, health care professionals and their patients.
Our research line, with more than 25 national and European research projects and more than 50 scientific papers in relevant journals, has grown up considerably from its start, in fact its research team is composed by 10 experienced researchers (5 PhD, 3 of them develop their thesis in IBIME) from different disciplines (informatics and physics).
The academic staff of our research line is the responsible of the Medical Informatics course (60 hours) and the Bioinformatics course (60 hours) of the Computing Engineering School of the UPV, the Clinical Data Processing course (60 hours) in the Universidad Alcala de Henares (Madrid) (lectured by Juan M Garcia-Gomez), and the Advanced Systems of Medical Decision Support course of IBIME (lectured by Juan M García-Gómez and Salvador Tortajada Velert).
It should be pointed out that, Montserrat Robles Viejo, head of IBIME, is nowadays the director of the Institute for the Applications of Advanced Information and Communication Technologies (ITACA). The ITACA Institute is an investigation and development entity of the UPV, created with the aim of promoting and undertaking scientific research, technological development and technology transfer initiatives in the field of the Information and Communication Technologies (ICT).
Finally, the IBIME’s research team had created VeraTech for Health, a young spin-off company that offers software solutions and services focused to Health and Life Sciences areas.
- Prediction of diagnosis and prognosis of diseases
- Search biomedical indicators and risk factors
- Use of genetic information in clinical trials
- Population studies / epidemiological alerts
- Support systems for early diagnosis
- Quantitative and qualitative evaluation of decision support systems
- Electronic clinical guidelines
- Predicting medical resources use
- Incremental learning and audit mechanism for dynamic decision support systems
- Biomedical data classification engines
- Processing biomedical data
- Data quality